The International Council on Clean Transportation seeks a versatile, enterprising editor to join the communications team in its Washington, DC, office. The ICCT is a non-profit research group that promotes energy efficiency in the transportation sector and clean vehicle and fuels policies around the world.
The editor will have a central role in ICCT's publications program and outreach efforts. He or she will be one of two primary editors for ICCT's technical research papers, briefings, and policy-related publications, and will coordinate authors and freelance copy editors and designers to manage a substantial editorial workflow.
Working with program staff and with other members of the communications team, he or she will also plan and edit or produce additional materials—e.g, blogs, fact sheets, and short videos, visualizations, opinion pieces—to supplement and complement ICCT's research publications. He or she will help program staff develop strategies to effectively convey ICCT's research and analyses to a variety of audiences, including but not only the media, so as to inform debates on public policy for clean transportation.
- Superior research, writing, and editing skills
- Experience writing or editing technical or scientific copy
- Demonstrated ability to convey specialized, technical information clearly, accurately, concisely, and usefully to diverse audiences comprising both specialists and non-specialists, according to need, and to help others do so
- Substantive prior engagement with public policy in some relevant area; knowledge of climate policy and environmental issues related to transportation a plus
- Well-organized; able to manage converging deadlines and juggle competing priorities with aplomb
- 5–10 years relevant experience
The ICCT is a mission-driven, egalitarian, culturally diverse organization in which intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and good humor are highly valued. We offer an excellent benefits package, including a commuting subsidy. Learn more at www.theicct.org.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: “Editor”). No calls and no recruiters, please. EOE.