Summary of Position
The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) seeks a managing director to manage and lead its Beijing office. The position is located in the CBD area of Beijing, China. The ideal candidate is someone who is dedicated to addressing air pollution from the transportation sector in China and globally. This is a tremendous opportunity for the right individual. Founding and leading a new organization requires a unique and talented individual with great vision and high energy. Such an individual must posses the ability to manage high-quality staff, the technical background to contribute to policy discussions, and the interpersonal skills to work across agencies and technical institutions.
- Work under the Executive Director and closely with an existing US-based China team, to develop, implement on a day-to-day basis, and sustain an ICCT China strategy to address air pollution from the transport sector
- Represent the ICCT in meetings with supervisory agencies to fulfill requirements of international NGO’s daily operation. Lead in preparing and filing reporting documents to the agencies.
- Maintain and grow ICCT’s strategic relationships with key stakeholders including government agencies, research institutes, NGOs and academic partners, and industry
- Guide ICCT’s China communications and outreach strategy (including internal government outreach and external media outreach on a daily basis) to support the ICCT’s strategy and mission
- Co-manage China program including objectives, work plans, budget, staff and recruitment; monitor performance and developments in China and suggest regular adjustments as necessary
- Identify local funding opportunities and support fundraising activities in China
- Some travel, including international travel, required
- Chinese national, proficiency in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese, excellent command of spoken and written English
- Strong leadership experience, highly motivated individual
- Demonstrated in-depth experience and strong working relationships with government agencies and research institutions at the national and local levels
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Technical background or experience relevant to transportation, energy and environmental issues.
- Development/fundraising success preferred
- Public outreach and media experience preferred
- Overseas education or professional experience preferred
Compensation and benefits
Competitive salary and benefit package, commensurate with experience. Opportunity for international travels and training.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit a letter of interest summarizing your qualifications and experiences with resume and two writing samples of technical reports/memos (one in English the other in Chinese) to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com (title “China Managing Director”).
About the ICCT
The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is an independent nonprofit organization founded to provide first-rate, objective research, and sound technical and scientific analyses of motor vehicles and fuels. Our mission is to improve the environmental performance and energy efficiency of the transportation sector.
The ICCT has offices in Washington DC, San Francisco, California, Berlin, Germany and Beijing, China. At present, the ICCT is made up of more than 50 full time team members from different countries reflecting the value and attention ICCT places on diversity in its workplace. The ICCT is financially supported by grants from philanthropies and government contracts. It is an equal opportunity employer.
The organization offers a mission-driven and culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and where creative thinking and carrying out own ideas is very much encouraged. The individual will have opportunity to access and contribute to cutting-edge clean transportation policy research works and get connected with a wide range of stakeholders including policy makers, experts in the field and industrial leaders.
The ICCT has established an excellent reputation in China, with over 10 years of project experience supporting national and local regulators. In 2018, the ICCT registered a representative office in Beijing, China, supervised by the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment.