This position will work to identify, refine, and promote policies and methods to reduce the climate impact of domestic and international aviation. The work outputs of this position will be immediately applicable to ongoing policymaking at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Working under the direction of the ICCT’s Aviation program staff, tasks will include one or more of the following:
- Providing technical support for ICCT work on airline efficiency, including work to assess proposals for a global framework for market-based measures for the aviation sector;
- Provide technical assistance in data mining including database management of multiple governmental and proprietary datasets related to the global operation of aircraft and airlines;
- Reviewing work products of consultants to the ICCT on aviation technology cost
- Contribute to additional projects as needed that have relevance to the first two tasks listed; and
- Produce a final report on his or her accomplishments during tenure at the ICCT.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background, most likely with a bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental science, or energy and resources. Policy experience, familiarity with the aviation industry, and an understanding of economic analysis are desirable. The position requires excellent quantitative, analytic, and research skills, along with strong written and verbal communications skills. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, self-directed, and creative and strategic in problem-solving and identifying policy needs.
- The intern is expected to work full-time from 16 to 24 weeks beginning during the summer recess. Availability for work during the spring would be considered an asset.
- The internship will be located in the ICCT’s office in downtown San Francisco, California.
- Salary will depend on experience (full-time rate of $1,900-$2,600 per month)
Please send your resume, cover letter summarizing your qualifications and experiences, a short writing or project sample, name and contact information of three references (letters not necessary) to email@example.com. Please use the position name “Internship, Commercial Aviation & Climate Change” as your message’s subject heading. Candidates will be considered on a first come, first served basis and the position will remain open until filled. We will directly contact candidates that are deemed qualified.